The University Management wishes to intimate the General Public, Parents and Guardians of the recent robbery incidence that took place at some private hostels occupied by TASUED students within Abapawa Community.
Information at the disposal of the University are as follows;
- The University Management received reports of attack on some private hostels at Abapawa on Tuesday, 24th October, 2023 by some yet to be identified gunmen at about 2.00am.
- The University Security Unit immediately swung into action by alerting the Ijagun Community Vigilante team who were promptly moved to the scenes of the incidence. It was discovered that the hoodlums had already perpetrated vicious attacks on the students.
- One of the hostels attacked was a female hostel where after collecting their phones, money and other valuable items, the robbers raped and injured four Students.
- The raped victims were immediately moved to the University Health Centre, from where they were later taken to the General Hospital, Ijebu-Ode for further treatment.
- The Governor of the State and Visitor to the University, Prince (Dr) Dapo Abiodun MFR,CON represented by his Deputy, Engr. Noimot Salako Oyedele, the University Management Team and the Honourable Commissioner for Health in Ogun State, Dr Tomi Coker had promptly visited the students at the General Hospital to commiserate with them. Considering the extent of injuries sustained by the students, the victims were transferred to the Sexual Assault Referral Centre, Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital(OOUTH) Sagamu, for adequate and comprehensive treatment.
- His Excellency,Prince (Dr). Dapo Abiodun, MFR, CON who was represented by his Deputy, Engr. Noimot Salako Oyedele thereafter also paid a visit to the University on the same Tuesday 24th October, 2023 to dialogue with the University Management, Representatives of the Student Union Government and other stakeholders.
- She was accompanied by the Honourable Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Prof Abayomi Arigbabu; Special Adviser on Security Matters, AIG Olusola Subair Kamar (Rtd); Ogun State Commissioner for Police, Abiodun Alamutu and Chairman, Odogbolu Local Government, Hon. Shuaib Ladejobi.
- The Ogun State Government, in conjunction with the Police had promised to immediately resuscitate the moribund Police Post at Abapawa. It also called for an immediate meeting of all host communities leaders,the university management, student representatives, representatives of various security outfits, and other concerned stakeholders with a view of finding lasting solutions to the challenges.
- The University Management subsequently suspended the ongoing 2nd semester examinations to allow the Student Union to stage an awareness campaign against rape and other social vices on the Campus and it’s environ. The university management is also aware that the incidence may have traumatised some of the students, thus not putting them in the best frame of mind for the examination. The exams will resume on Thursday, 26th October, 2023.
The university condemns in strong terms the incessant attacks on its students,particularly the dimension of rape which took place recently.
The university assures students, parents, and guardians of its relentless efforts in conjunction with the state government and security agencies in ensuring that the welfare and security of students remain a priority.
Dapo Oke, FCAI