NEWS UPDATE - INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT FOR THE POST OF VICE-CHANCELLOR
(PLEASE NOTE: this Advertisement supersedes and indeed invalidates the earlier publications in the Punch and Nigerian Tribune of Tuesday, 9thJanuary, 2018.)
In line with relevant provisions of the law establishing the University, the Visitor to the University, the Executive Governor of Ogun State, Senator Ibikunle Amosun CON, FCA, has authorized the commencement of the process for the appointment of a new Vice-Chancellor for the University. To this end, applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for the post of the Vice-Chancellor.
The Nigerian university system has been witnessing poor performance of first and second year students in the universities with high proportion of them having to repeat several courses at the end of the first year in the university. This is traceable to the poor understanding of those subjects by these fresh students from our high schools and the poor delivery of the subjects by their teachers, who, themselves, do not possess the required skill. The latter is due, in part, to the quality of teachers produced from several Faculties of Education from Nigerian universities. In response to such deficiencies in teacher training, among others, the Tai Solarin University of Education (formerly Tai Solarin College of Education), was established as the first specialized University of Education in Nigeria in the year 2005 to produce graduate teachers with in-depth knowledge of the subject they are supposed to teach like any other university graduate from other Faculties, but at the same time have teaching skills to disseminate the knowledge of subject matter.
Another unique quality of this citadel of knowledge is the vocational training for our undergraduates to relieve them of the burden of unemployment, and make them self-sustaining by being employers of labour themselves. Students are expected to take advantage of the vocational programmes being run by the Centre for Entrepreneurial Studies of the University to equip them with a vocational certificate, apart from the degree which they would earn at the end of their programme. This is in line with the following Vision, Mission and the Philosophy of the University:
The Vision of the TASUED is to be the preferred Education University, which will excel in preparing educators who will be leaders in all spheres of the discipline.
The mission is to enhance the quality of teaching and learning and continuously update the methods and skills of knowledge providers by equipping them with modern technology services delivered by skilled and motivated members of staff to meet the contemporary and future needs of Nigeria and enhance our global competitiveness.
To train teachers who are proficient in their respective disciplines and concomitantly possess vocational skills and entrepreneurial capabilities to achieve the required human capital for all round development. This will be in reference to the student's capacity for scholarship development that recognises dignity of labour, personal integrity, and selflessness.
Tai Solarin University of Education operates a Collegiate system with the following five colleges:
- College of Specialised and Professional Education
- College of Science & Information Technology
- College of Humanities
- College of Social and Management Sciences
- College of Vocational and Technology Education.
The University has other academic centres and units among which are: Centre For Human Rights and Gender Education; Centre for Vocational-Skills, Entrepreneurial and General Studies; ICT Centre; Centre for Part-Time and External Programmes, University Health Centre; and School of Postgraduate Studies. The University also operates linkages with other institutions such as the Cape Coast University, Ghana, Kennesaw State University, Kennesaw, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America (U.S.A.) and University of Padova, Italy.
The University operates a total of 30 undergraduate programmes with all of them accredited by the National Universities Commission. The Colleges offer NUC-approved postgraduate programmes. The undergraduate students’ enrolments grew steadily to a total of 17,343 full-time students in 2016/2017 and 1,877 Part-Time students. The postgraduate enrolment was 462 during the session. The University has a total academic staff strength of 288 and about 500 non-teaching staff.
Only a small percentage of students are enjoying hostel facilities on campus. However, efforts are in top gear with an identified investor to provide hostel facilities under build-operate-transfer scheme.
Staff salaries and emoluments currently are in aggregate of about Two Billion and One Hundred Million Naira (N2,100,000,000) only per annum. Funding is mainly from the Ogun State Government’s subventions, the fees being paid by students and the University’s internally generated revenue.
A candidate for the post of Vice-Chancellor shall be a proven successful manager of human and material resources, coupled with clear qualities of academic leadership. Specifically, the candidate shall be expected to:
- have considerable administrative experience and qualities of a good manager of human and material resources;
- be of high academic standing and reputation to command national and international respect particularly in the academic world, such that it would enhance the good reputation already established for the University;
- be not more than sixty-five (65) years old as at the date of possible assumption of duty;
- be computer literate;
- be a highly distinguished scholar of the rank of Professor, with a minimum of seven (7) years experience on that level and demonstrable ability to provide academic and administrative leadership for such a well established University of Education;
- be a person of proven integrity;
- be capable of giving dynamic leadership while building strong and positive relationships with staff, students, other members of the University community and the State government;
- be a person who is not likely to pursue racial, ethnic, political, religious or other sectional interest;
- be a person with a clear vision for the development of the University in the context of the University’s philosophy of a “Developmental University;
- enjoy excellent physical and mental health; and
- attract the much-needed funds into the University.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The tenure of office of the Vice-Chancellor shall be for a single term of five (5) years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment.
The remuneration and other conditions of service shall be as approved by the Governing Council but comparable to those applicable to the post of Vice-Chancellors of other public universities in Nigeria.
MODE OF APPLICATION
- Each application should be made in 30 copies and be accompanied by 30 copies of the candidate’s curriculum vitae duly signed and dated. The curriculum vitae must contain: the candidate’s name in full, address, age, marital status; institutions attended and academic qualifications (with dates); nationality; membership of academic and professional bodies (with dates); professional and academic achievements (including scholarly publications); and details of administrative, fund attraction and managerial experience in the University system.
- Each application should include the names and addresses of three referees. Each referee should be contacted by the applicant to forward, direct to the Registrar, a confidential report on the candidate's character, academic and managerial abilities in a properly sealed envelope marked:
Post of Vice-Chancellor; Referee's Report at the top left hand corner of the envelope.
- Each application must be accompanied by 30 copies of statement of the candidate's vision (not more than 1,000 words) for the University in the next five years.
- In the case of candidates identified by the Search Team, the application shall conform to the above requirements and, in addition, a letter of consent duly signed by the candidate shall be presented along with the application.
- All applications must be submitted in sealed envelopes, marked “Vice-Chancellor Position” at the top left hand corner and forwarded to reach the Registrar within six weeks of this publication, i.e. 22nd February, 2018.
Francis O. Odutuga, FNIM, ACIPM
Ag. Registrar and Secretary to Council
Tai Solarin University of Education, Ijagun
P. M. B. 2118,
Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State
Cell: (+234) 803-351-9973