Professor Olufemi A. BAMIRO.
B.Sc. Mechanical Engineering (Nottingham),
Ph.D. (McGill, Canada), Reg. Engr. (COREN), FNSE, FSESN
Area of SpecialisationMechanical Engineering; Science & Technology Policy Studies.
Olufemi was born on 16 September 1947 in Ijebu-Igbo, Ogun State. He attended Molusi College, Ijebu-lgbo and proceeded to Government College, Ibadan, obtaining the best result of the year at the Cambridge Higher School Certificate (Advanced Level), 1967. Afterwards he proceeded as Shell Scholar to the Nottingham University, Nottingham, England, earning a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree in Mechanical Engineering with First Class Honours in 1971. He worked briefly for Shell-BP in Nigeria as pipeline engineer before proceeding to McGill University, Montreal, Canada on Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship where he obtained PhD degree in 1975 after two and half years. He returned to Nigeria to commence academic work at University of Ibadan in 1975 and rose rapidly to become the first Professor of Mechanical Engineering in the university in 1983. He is a recognized expert in issues related to Science and Technology Policy, Higher Education, Entrepreneurship Studies, and Information Technology. He also has several publications on micromechanics and technology development in local and international journals.
Current Research Projects
i. UNESCO-sponsored Reform of the Nigerian Science,Technology and
ii.AERC-sponsored Research on ICT and Economic Development/Higher
Education in African Countries.
A . Books or Monographs:
1. "Engineering Mechanics" by O. A Bamiro, Negussie Tebedge, and Alabi B. Published by ANSTI/RAIST, UNESCO, 1996. (ISBN 92-3-103227-5)
2. "The Planning and Writing of Grant-Oriented Research Proposals" by O.A. Bamiro, O. Oladepo, A.I. Olayinka, L. Popoola, A. Soyibo.
3. "Industry Research on the Applications Software Sector in Nigeria", by O. A. Bamiro and A. J. Alos, Research sponsored by the African Project Development Facility. Published by the Lagos Business School, Pan-African University, July, 2004.
4. "The Pains and Gains of Growth: Case Studies on Entrepreneurship" by Prof. A. J. Alos and Prof. O. A. Bamiro, LBS Management Series, Published by CP
Criterion Publishers, Lagos, 2005, ISBN 978-36953-9-8.
B . Articles in Learned Journals/Refereed Conference Proceedings
1. AXELRAD, D.R., PROVAN, J.W. and BAMIRO, O.A.  : Microstructural Properties and Elastic Behaviour of Polycrystalline Material I. Proc. 4th Canadian Congress of Applied Mechanics, Montreal, p 111.
2. PROVAN, J.W. and BAMIRO, O.A. (1974): Microstructural Properties and the Elastic Behaviour of Polycrystalline Materials II. Journal Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, 13, 203-210.
3. BAMIRO, O.A. and WEINS, M.J. : Structure and Energy of a 31.9o Symmetric Tilt Boundary. Scripta Metallurgical Journal, 8, p 277-279.
4. AXELRAD, D.R., PROVAN, J.W. and BAMIRO, O.A. (1975) : Elastic Grain Boundary Effects in Polycrystalline Solids. Proc. 5th Canadian Congress of Applied Mechanics, University of New Brunswick, Canada, p 81-82.
5. BAMIRO, O.A., WEINS, M.J. and WEINS, J.J. (1975) : Forces necessary to displace a defect free grain boundary. Journal of Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, Canada, 4, p 301-305.
6. PROVAN, J.W. and BAMIRO, O.A. (1976) : Elastic grain boundary responses in copper and aluminium. Acta Metallurgical Journal, Vol.25, pp 39-317.
7. BAMIRO, O.A. (1976) : Micromechanic theory and the elastic response of polycrystalline materials. Proceedings First Nigerian Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, C140-C156.
8. BAMIRO, O.A. (1976) : "Towards a National Solar Energy Policy". Proceedings Energy Policy Conference, Jos, (1979), Edited by Dr. N.C. Ozakwe, pp 375-394.
9. BAMIRO, O.A. (1979) : "A special variational approach to the finite element analysis of plate bending". Nigerian Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol.2, No.1, p 12-21.
10. BAMIRO, O.A. and PROVAN, J.W. (1981) : "Intergranular Crack Nucleation and Fracture". Journal of Res. Mechanica, Letters, England, p 125-132.
11. BAMIRO, O.A. (1982) : "The Green Revolution: Need for Establishment of Rural Energy Centres". The Nigerian Journal of Solar Energy, Nigerian Journal of Solar Energy, Vol.1, No.2, pp 66-75.
12. BAMIRO, O.A. (1981) : "Solar Energy Devices for Rural Applications". Proceedings Solar World Forum, Brighton, England, Vol.4, pp 3242-3246.
13. BAMIRO, O.A. (1982) : "The Coincidence Dislocation Model of Grain Boundary Structure and Energy". Journal of Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, Vol.21, No.1, pp 93-102.
14. BAMIRO, O.A. (1982) : "On the Decohesion Theory of Grain Boundary Embrittlement". Journal of Res. Mechanica Letters, 2, pp 27-34.
15. BAMIRO, O.A. (1982) : "Intergranular Fracture Criteria and Interfacial Thermodynamics - DEFECTS, FRACTURE and FATIGUE". Refereed Proceedings of the Second International Symposium, Mont. Gabriel, Canada, published by Martinus Nijhoff Publishers of the Hague, edited by G.C. Sih and J.W., Provan, pp 85-98.
16. BAMIRO, O.A. (1982) : "The DSC lattice and the computer simulation of grain boundary structure and energy". Journal of Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, Vol.21, No.3, pp 293-297.
17. BAMIRO, O.A. (1982) : "Theoretical and Experimental of Collector Performance in Ibadan". Refereed Proceedings of Solar Energy Conference, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, pp 1176-1180.
18. BAMIRO, O.A. (1983) : "Empirical Relations for the Determination of Solar Radiation in Ibadan, Nigeria". International Journal of Solar Energy, Vol.31, No.1, pp 85-94.
19. BAMIRO, O.A. and IDERIAH, F.J.K. (1982) : Determination of Optimum Collector Orientation for Ibadan. Nigerian Journal of Solar Energy, Vol.2, pp 26-32.
20. IDERIAH, F.J.K. and BAMIRO, O.A. (1982) : "Determination of Diffuse Component of Solar Radiation". Nigerian Journal of Solar Energy, Vol.2, pp 81-88.
21. BAMIRO, O.A. (1983) : "The Use of Statistics in Technology". Proceedings National Workshop on Production and Uses of Statistics in Nigeria. Published by NISER, pp 211-222.
22. BAMIRO, O.A. : "Generalized Approach to Crack Nucleation in Polycrystalline Solids". Paper presented during the 2nd National Colloquium on Mathematical Physics, 11-15 December (1980) - 28 pages.
23. BAMIRO, O.A. (1984) : "An Atomistic-Statistical Thermodynamic Evaluation of Grain Boundary Embrittlement". Acta Metallurgical Journal, Vol.32, No.10, pp 1755-1765.
24. BAMIRO, O.A. : "Further Development of Variational Element for Plate in Bending". Nigerian Journal of Engineering and Technology. (1985)
25. BAMIRO, O.A. and IDERIAH, F.J.K. : "Optimal Collection of Solar Energy". Nigerian Journal of Solar Energy. ) 1988
26. BAMIRO, O.A. : "Special Variational Element for Plate Bending and Vibrations". Proc. ANSTI Mechanical/Production Seminar, University of Zimbabwe, Harare (1987).
27. BAMIRO, O.A. : "Solar Energy Option"; Chapter 6, page 77 of the book entitled "ENERGY DEVELOPMENT AND UTILIZATION IN NIGERIA", edited by A. Sesan Ayodele and Published by Nigeria Institute of Social and Economic Research (NISER), Ibadan, 1987.
28. BAMIRO, O.A. : "Mechanical Engineering Practice in a developing economy - Use and Abuse of Materials". Inaugural Lecture delivered on behalf of the Faculty of Technology, University of Ibadan, May 11, 1989.
29. BAMIRO, O. A. (1991): "Engineering Education and Industry Interaction: The Nigerian Experience". Proceedings of the Inter-Regional Seminar on Engineering Education and Industry Interaction, held at the University of Science & Technology, Kumasi, Ghana (pp65-90)
30. BAMIRO, O. A. (1994): "Training of Technicians in Nigerian Universities", Case Study Published by the Commonwealth Secretariat, London.
31. BAMIRO et al . (1994) "Nigerian Perspective Plan: Science & Technology Sector Study", Vols. I, II & III. The Reports (720 pages) submitted to the National Planning Commission.
32. BAMIRO, O.A (1995) : `The Electronic Oracle: "Seeing" through computer models `, University of` Ibadan, Postgraduate Interdisciplinary Research Discourse, August 22, 1995
33. BAMIRO, O. A. (1997) "Technology Transfer and Firm-Level Technological Capability Build-up: A Conceptual Framework", Lagos Business School, Management Review (1997) 2 pp87-103.
34. BAMIRO O.A. (1998) , "Technology Acquisition and Transfer: Challenges & Prospects", NASME/AADFI Conference, Abuja.
35. ALOS J.A & BAMIRO, O.A. (1999) "Cementing the Nation: West African Portland Cement (A)" and "Getting it Right: West African Portland Cement (B)". A Case Study of West African Portland Cement Company, manufacturer of cement. (1999) LBS Case Series
36. BAMIRO, O.A & ALOS J.A. (1999) "Catching Up and Staying Ahead: Best Oils Limited". A Case Study of Best Oils Limited, manufacturer of vegetable oils. (1999). LBS Case Series
37. ALOS J.A & BAMIRO, O.A. (2000) "More than Chicken feed". A Case Study of Avian Specialities, an integrated poultry farm. LBS Case Series
38. BAMIRO O. A. (2000), "The State of Science and Technology Capacity in Nigeria", Position paper presented to the African Technology Policy Studies, Nairobi, Kenya.
39. BAMIRO O.A. et.al. "Planning and Writing Grant-Oriented Research Proposals", Published by the Postgraduate School, University of Ibadan (2003).
40. BAMIRO O. A ., "Industrial Policies and Institutions Supporting Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Nigeria", Proceedings Regional Conference on Innovation Systems and Innovative Clusters in Africa, Dar es Salaam/Bagamoyo, Tanzania, Feb 18-20, 2004, pp567-604.
41. BAMIRO O. A ., "University-Industry Partnership in the Innovation Process: Cases from Nigeria and Ghana" Proceedings Regional Conference on Innovation Systems and Innovative Clusters in Africa, Dar es Salaam/Bagamoyo, Tanzania, Feb 18-20, 2004, pp341-372.
42. OSOTIMEHIN FOLARIN AND BAMIRO O . A., "Science, Engineering and Technology Capacity Building in Africa: The Role of UNESCO", Proceedings of the African Regional Conference On Engineering Education, University of Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria, pp. 267-274 .
43. BAMIRO, O . A., "A Framework for the Strategic Design of Science and Technology Policy for African Development", African Development Review, Vol. 19 No.1, pp217-255.
44 . BAMIRO, O. A., "Technology Acquisition and Transfer: Challenges and Prospects", African Journal of Technology Policy, Vol.2, No.1, December 2007, ISSN 1119-8966, pp1-36.
45. BAMIRO, O . A., "The Vision and Challenges of ICT Production in Africa: Software Production and Services", Framework Paper for the African Economic Research Consortium (AERC), Nairobi, Kenya. Pp1-50; Visit www.aercafrica.org/publications; April 2008.
46. BAMIRO, O. A., "The Vision and Challenges of ICT Production in Africa: Computer Hardware Production and Services", Framework Paper for the African Economic Research Consortium (AERC), Nairobi, Kenya. Pp1-40; Visit www.aercafrica.org/publications. ; April 2008
Several journal articles and project reports can be found using
http://scholar.google.com and keying ‘bamiro’. Several publications will be found under oabamiro.
Typical Example: Pilot Study of Used Oil in Nigeria by O.A Bamiro and O.Osibanjo located inwww.base.int/straplan/oewgl/projdocs/nigeria/used-oils/pilot-study.doc