NEWS UPDATE - MEET THE NEW PRO-CHANCELLOR OF TASUED: PROF. OLUWAFEMI OLAIYA BALOGUN
Prof. Oluwafemi Olaiya Balogun was born on October 19, 1953 in Abeokuta, Ogun State.
He attended Adesola High School, Ibadan, Oyo State for his secondary education. He then proceeded to the University of Ibadan where he obtained his Bachelor of Science (Hon.) Degree in 1975 and Ph.D Degree in 1979, both in Agricultural Biochemistry and Nutrition.
He began his academic career as a Demonstrator in the Department of Animal Science of the University of Ibadan in October 1976 and left in October 1979. He joined the services of the University of Ilorin in December 1979 where he rose from the rank of a Lecturer to become a Professor at a very tender age of 34.
At UNILORIN, he served in various capacities: Coordinator, Head of Department, Farm Manager, Dean, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academics) and also Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration).
Prof. Balogun also served as Chairman of many Senate and Council Committees.
The erudite scholar has over 60 academic publications to his credit in learned journals, books, monographs and conference papers among others.
SCHOLARSHIPS, HONOURS, ACADEMIC DISTINCTIONS AND PRIZES
Prof. Balogun has won many scholarships, honours, academic distinctions and prizes, including the following:
- ‘University Scholar' at the University of Ibadan, 1973–1975
- University of Ibadan Scholarship for First Degree, 1973 – 1975
- May & Baker Prize for Best Final Year Student in Animal Science, 1975
- Cocoa Marketing Board Scholarship, 1973–1979 Federal Government of Nigeria Postgraduate Scholarship Award, 1976
- University of Ibadan Scholarship for Postgraduate Study, 1976 – 1979
He has also bagged some titles within and outside the University Community, among which are:
- Kwame Nkrumah Leadership Award, in Accra, Ghana (May 2010).
- Best Public Relations Friendly Chief Executive Officer in Ogun State, by the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations, Ogun State Chapter (February 2010).
- Humanity Ambassador Award by the Nigerian Red Cross, Ogun State Branch (June 2009).
- Excellence Award in Public Service by the Department of Animal Nutrition, University of Ibadan, 2008.
- Distinguished Alumni Award, University of Ibadan, 2008
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Poultry Association of Nigeria
- American Society of Animal Science
- Canadian Society of Animal Science
- American Poultry Science Association.
NATIONAL & INTERNATIONAL SERVICES
- President, Poultry Association of Nigeria, Kwara State Branch, June, 2001– Till Date
- Team Leader, Farm Assessment of Least-Cost Alternative Layers' Feed in Kwara State (A Winrock, USA and Federal Government of Nigeria-sponsored project) April, 2002
- Member, National Universities Commission's (NUC's) Accreditation Panel to the University of Agriculture, Makurdi, 1990
- Member, Presidential Task Force on Alternative Feed Formulations for Livestock, 1989 -1992. (Two Livestock Research Pavillions and equipment were endowed to the Department of Animal Production, University of Ilorin by the Presidency through the project
- Consultant to Raw Materials Research and Development Council on the development and popularization of Least-Cost Feed formulation for livestock in Nigeria, 1989–Till Date
- External Examiner to various Universities including the University of Ibadan, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria and the University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, all between 1989 and 1996
- Member, Local Organizing Committee for the 19th Annual Conference of Agriculture Society of Nigeria hosted by the Kwara State Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources, between October 23 and 28, 1983
- External Moderator for Science Laboratory Technology, Kwara State College of Technology, 1982/1983 session.
Prof. Balogun's joint study in comparative evaluation of the nutritional values of alternative baby cereal formulae led to the development and commercialization of the popular BABENA, a baby cereal formula produced by GLAXO Nigeria Limited, Agbara.
A similar work led to the development of Least-Cost herbal vitamin pre-mixes as alternatives to imported synthetic/chemical brand. The natural/herbal vitamin pre-mixes are currently being produced on small-scale level by BALEX Feeds and are adjudged to be very effective by poultry farmers.
He was involved in the growth and development of the University of Ilorin for a period spanning twenty-six (26) years. Prof. Balogun was a member of the Governing Council for a continuous period of twelve years (1990-2002) and Deputy Vice-Chancellor,
Academic (March 1998–March 2000) and Deputy Vice-Chancellor), Administration (May 2000–May 2002).
All these experiences garnered both academically and practically over the years in agriculture as well as administration has helped equipped and put him in good stead of becoming the fourth substantive Vice-Chancellor of the University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, on May 24, 2007.
SERVICE IN FUNAAB
It is worthy of note that in the first 19 years of FUNAAB, 38 capital projects were constructed as at May, 2007 when Professor Balogun became its Vice-Chancellor, whereas, in just about two and a half years, he put up 41 completed and duly commissioned projects while 26 were under construction in the year 2010.
Professor Balogun exhibited a high capacity for fund utilization, an attribute which made him to be well respected in resource management, for which reason, the Federal Government of Nigeria compensated him in 2009 with an extra fund of N50m injected into the FUNAAB 2009 FGN Appropriation.
The Education Trust Fund (ETC) similarly compensated him in 2010 with two special intervention projects for FUNAAB, worth N198m.
Professor Balogun, as Vice-Chancellor of FUNAAB, through his efforts, catapulted FUNAAB in year 2009 to the 5th position, from oblivion, in the ranking of Nigerian Universities.
Equally worthy of mention is the geometrical increase he took into the carrying capacity of FUNAAB, which had an Admission Quota of 1,500 allocated to it by the NUC in the 2006/2007 session, when he came on board to the then increased Quota of 3,000. This, however, led to the rise in total student population of FUNAAB from 7,105 in the 2006/2007 Session to 9,383 in the following Session.
Generally speaking, the former Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Professor Oluwafemi Olaiya Balogun is reputed to have given FUNAAB a monumental turn-around in all areas of academic, administrative and infrastructural development.
The University under his leadership is enjoyed serene academic atmosphere, wining awards and accolades, both at local and international levels.
The distinguished Professor is happily married to Professor (Mrs.) Elizabeth Abidemi Balogun and the marriage is blessed with children.
Prof. Balogun and other members of the Governing Council, were sworn in on Tuesday, April 30, 2019 by the Governor of Ogun State and Visitor to the University, Sen. Ibikunle Amosun, CON, FCA.